Saturday, July 29, 2006

We love Hymns!


Picked up a CD during a 20% sale in Koorong bookstore - 'Here I am to worship - hymns'. As I was listening to the CD, I was reminded 10 years back when someone said the young people in church don't like hymns but contemporary chorus. Here I am making a decision to buy this CD, I then released that it was not the hymns that I did not like, it was the way hymns was played. The lyrics of hymns are some poetic and beautiful, how could we did not like them? When I was in Adelaide, we used to have combined service where hymns were sung in the church. It was so majestically played by the late aunt Rebecca on the pipe organ. I also remembered another time when Charles Swindoll was here in Melbourne, I attended the meeting, again hymns were sung with a simple piano, the congregation sang the hymns with full of praise and adoration to the Lord. Another example, the Passion released an album with just hymns. That album was absolutely brilliant, and the congregation who attended that live recording were mostly college students.
There are a lot of rock bands recording hymns on their abalones. So why did they still say young people do not like hymns? I think it was how it was played, how it was lead and how it was sung.
It should be sung with the heart something like the following:-
1 Sing to the LORD a new song; sing to the LORD, all the earth.
2 Sing to the LORD, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day.
3 Declare his glory among the nations, his marvelous deeds among all peoples.
Psalm 96:1-3

No comments: