Thursday, August 31, 2006

Limited Edition



I was a big fan of Limited Edition, I am still one. Few years ago, I bought my first limited edition print of a local Melbourne artist: Garry McEwan's On Brunswick St. It was an edition of 250. It means that their are only 250 prints available. I love the vibrant colour of the piece. The tram on the print was another reason that caught my attention at that time. I paid just under AUD 500 (including the frame). Now the print can easily costs over AUD 1.5K. I was very happy when I found out that the print that I bought has gone up in price.

Then I went a bought another of Mr McEwan's limited edition print, Flower Love. That print caused a bit of controversy amongst my mates. I think it was a piece that will contrast the other one, yet balance my living room. This one is yet to go up in price.
The phrase 'Limited edition' was almost exclusive to the arts community. It was not until DVD became popular in Australia. You have Special Limited Edition, Director's Cut Edition, the Ultimate Collector's Edition & "you name it, we'll produce it " Edition. Wait, there's more; some DVDs also come with certificate of authentication. I think the word "Limited" no longer holds any meaning to many movie studios or DVD producers. It becomes a marketing tool targeting consumer like me to spend more money to pay for their CEOs to have dinner at a 5 star hotels discussing the next money making project.
I bought a Special Limited Edition of Walt Disney's Beauty and the Beast. One year later that same edition of DVD can be found in the bargain box in K-Mart. Price did not go up, but gone down to bargain price. How many "Limited" copies did studio print?
Can I still remain positive and not be cynical about Limited Edition again?

No comments: