Wednesday, August 16, 2006

DRUB

I went to Bennetts Lane Jazz Club with my friends one night, it was a weeknight therefore I did not expect too many people there. To my surprise the place was packed with people, the band - DRUB, must be good to attract such an audience during a week night.

The saxophonist started a piercing note, I thought he was doing a sound check and it turned out to be part of the song, well ... Tune ... Err ... Sound? ... Noise. I could not make anything out of it. All I could hear was some random notes coming out of these musicians. There was no difference from one "song" to another when random notes are played. Having said that individually, each musician is excellent.

D who's a music student and said politely that the musicians might be following a motif and improvise around it. I could not make any sense out of it. Then why was the place packed with people to listen to their music? Did they really get something out of the music?

The experience got me thinking about the story called 'The emperor's New Clothes'. Was everyone in the club really appreciate the music played by the group on the stage because they did not want to be classified as "stupid"?

J also made a comment it was like watching a foreign art house movie without subtitles in the musical context. You suppose to work it out.

Oh well ... Again this could be alternative Jazz.

Go figure.

We sat through the whole gig just to show a bit of respect to the musicians. But I want my money back!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this the place that you said would take me next time i visit melbourne?

BG said...

Yes ... but not when this band is playing.