Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Doulos Part IIb - Seasick

27 June 2005
I woke up at 6am. My cabin is still rocking. I got up and sat at my bunk bed, I could not hold it for a minute. I had to lie down again; I could not hold myself together. After about 10 minutes, I told myself that I needed to get out of my bed and get a shower. May be that would help. I just had to give it a try. I managed to get down from the bunk bed, balanced myself and walked to the bath room and had a shower. One of the most difficult showers I ever had. The bath room was rocking too.

Then I was reminded the following Bible passage. Matthew 8:23-27 (The Message)

23Then he got in the boat, his disciples with him. 24The next thing they knew, they were in a severe storm. Waves were crashing into the boat--and he was sound asleep! 25They roused him, pleading, "Master, save us! We're going down!"
26Jesus reprimanded them. "Why are you such cowards, such faint-hearts?" Then he stood up and told the wind to be silent, the sea to quiet down: "Silence!" The sea became smooth as glass.
27The men rubbed their eyes, astonished. "What's going on here? Wind and sea come to heel at his command!"

How I wished Jesus would calm the “storm” right where I stood. But there wasn’t any storm. I was just experiencing seasickness.

I never knew being seasick was such a bad experience. I could not function at all. The feeling is very hard to describe, I was not experiencing any pain or fever. The discomfort was all too overwhelming.

I walked to the dining room for breakfast. John was there and told me he just threw out his breakfast. As soon as I heard there, I went straight back to my cabin and chucked; I went straight to my bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what seasickness is like ...

Anonymous said...

I know what seasickness is like ...