Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Doulos Part II - (Tanzania to Mozambique)



26 June 2005
My cabin was in section 1:- the front of the ship. This means when the ship is hit by the wave, section one will get it first before the rest of the ship. If you put this in a sea-sickness perspective, you get the picture. My cabin mates were Lucas from Germany, Andrew from England and Tespo from Lesotho. Lesotho is a country inside South Africa. Cabin that I stayed was very small. 2 bunk beds and a very small bath room.

27 June 2005

The STEP group was meeting for the first time. STEP stands for Short Term Exposure Programme -the mission trip that I participated. Most of the participants were from America, Jordan, Ryan, Rebecca, Deets, Jenny and Jennifer. Daniel from England living in Cyprus, Hack Chul from South Korea, Reza from Albania, Raphael and Martina from Switzerland, Annamiek from Holland, John from Malaysia studying in Scotland and Rachel from Ireland. Our co-ordinator was Gill. She has been on Doulos for more than 1 year. We were brief by different leaders on the ship about the programme and what expected of us.

The ship is set to sail this late afternoon. As part of the normal safety protocol, we performed a search for stowaway, the ‘unwanted guests’ who got on board for free passage. It happened before; the ship has to make a ‘U-turn’ back to the previous port and returned the ‘guest’. Normally, there will be someone pretend to be a stowaway during this exercise. The aim is to search every part of the ship and locate the stowaway.

The ship’s company, i.e. the crew members, were out on the deck waving good-bye to the locals. I was out with everyone else to check out what was it like to sail on a big ship as this was my first time on board with the ship. The deckies were busy getting the ship ready as the tuck boats pull the ship away from the quayside. After the ship was tucked to the required distance, we set sail for a 3 day journey to Nacala, Mozambique. The weather was cloudy that day, apart from that everything was fine. I felt the wave on the deck; it was not as bad as I thought what people said about seasickness. I was taking photographs with John and Raphael who were on the deck and I could not feel any seasickness coming to me. We adjourned to the dinning room for dinner. I could feel a bit of movement in the dinning room. As I was eating my dinner, I started to sweat. This could be the weather since we were in Africa, and this land is always warm even during winter time. The sweating did not stop, rest of the people who were eating with me were fine. At that moment, I knew; I have been hit by seasickness. I finished my dinner and excuse myself and went straight to my cabin. I lost my bearing. I could not even walk to my cabin. The ground was 'moving'. I was sweating is crazy trying to concentrate each of my step back to section 1. I finally made it to my cabin, climbed up to my bunk bed and trying to sleep. I felt better when I lied down but I could still feel the cabin rocking. My body not longer fighting off the cough but trying to counter act the imbalance of my body. It was 6pm in the evening; I did not go out of my cabin that night.

No comments: